This is about my cooking adventures as I try new recipes and do food related things.
Everyone eats, so let's have fun cooking!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Grillin' Easter Eggs

Today I walked out my front door to find my dad in his front yard (directly across from my own front yard). He saw me and instead of waiting to speak to each other face to face, like I assume civilized (boring) people do we shouted across our yards to each other while I walked over. Our conversation had lots to do with where my mom was currently located and what are we eating for Easter dinner?

The first question was easy, she was brushing her hair and easily found. The second question was also fairly simple, we'd be grillin'! Now, I don't know if you readers grill or barbecue (or barbeque) or how or if you prepare food out of doors in the great wilderness of your yard, front side or back. But when we grill, we ALWAYS have macaroni salad with our seared meats. See, I had you all tricked, thinking I'd be the grill master, but no, I am the kitchen wench in this story. It's not so bad though, I get to wear great outfits! (Okay no more Ren Fair references today, promise.)

So I volunteered/was drafted for macaroni salad making. Prep work took less time than usual today, since I only had to boil macaroni - the eggs were already boiled for this venture! My parents, nieces, siblings and I had dyed eggs on Friday. While it was nice to not have to boil eggs, I was sad, as I am every year, when it came time to peel those vibrant shells away from the milky colored egg whites.

Then I had a brilliant, colorful, rainbow-rific idea. I would dye the boiled eggs again... now that they had been peeled! I Googled first and Google found me eHow and eHow said it was an overnight project involving both food coloring and water (with eggs of course) and I said I don't have that kind of time eHow!

Then I remembered that Marna (my Pampered Chef Executive Director) had just sent me a recipe for tulip eggs, which were both artful and delicious. Her instructions were to dye the peeled boiled eggs in food coloring (no water) and then cut with a v-cutter and devil and garnish appropriately. So I compromised and mixed enough water to cover my eggs with my chosen colors of food coloring, which happened to be red, yellow, blue and green because those were the colors of food coloring we had. I sliced all my eggs in half and dumped the yolks into a bowl so I could make the "sauce" for the macaroni salad while the egg whites colored.

I'm sure everyone has their own special secret recipe for macaroni salad, passed down in secret from parent to child. In any case, I do have a special secret recipe, handed down to me from my mother. So I'll tell you SOME of what goes into this particular dish, but it is my special secret family recipe after all!

For the "sauce" I crush the yolks, then add whatever spices sound delicious, miracle whip (NEVER mayonnaise), mustard, ranch dressing and a few more things - I whip that up and pour it on the boiled, drained and cooled macaroni. To chop the now colorful eggs I put them in my egg slicer, slice, turn, and slice again. This gives me no hassles, barely any mess and chopped eggs in less than a minute. I love my egg slicer!

To finish this very easy, very tasty dish I stirred in the eggs, flatten/squish the salad in the bowl with my stir-er (a big serving spoon) and then used a paper towel to clean the edges (it saves on dishes when you mix in the serving bowl!)

Garnish with a light dusting of paprika, chill and serve! It was the most festive macaroni salad our Easter dinner has ever had!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Nice job, now, back to the kitchen with you, wench;-), kidding...must get back into the kitchen myself.

    ReplyDelete