This is about my cooking adventures as I try new recipes and do food related things.
Everyone eats, so let's have fun cooking!

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Turkey Chili - A Surprise Inside

When I read the title on this recipe card I was thinking, "What's so special about turkey chili?" I learned it's dirty little secret when I read the ingredients list, it calls for beer! At first I wrinkled my nose at the idea of putting something as foul tasting as beer into something as amazing as chili. Then I remembered the first time I tried broccoli and decided to give this recipe a chance.

(I had spent my entire life up to the moment I tried broccoli believing I hated broccoli, merely because it was a weird little green tree. When I finally tried it, I LOVED it, and decided that there was no way I was ever going to not eat a food because I thought I might not like it. Which is why I always try the beer my husband drinks. So far the only ones I have liked have been so dark you couldn't see light through them - Guinness Extra Stout and He'brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah. In addition to those wicked dark beers I now eat pretty much every fruit vegetable except cabbage, because I think it has a strange texture, but still tastes okay, and lemons because I do not enjoy sour things - though I still use lemon juice and lime juice to cook with.)

Anyway, back to that chili! Another ingredient that this chili called for is chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, something I've wanted to try for a long time, but had never known what to do with them. After (finally) finding the chipotle peppers in the Hispanic foreign foods section in Meijer, I brought these little devils home to make an epic chili.

I read my recipe and instructions carefully, and started with my aromatics - onions and garlic in bruschetta flavored olive oil with a pinch of sea salt. To this I added chili powder, oregano and three chopped chipotle peppers, though the recipe called for a measly one along with tomato paste. Then I added the ground turkey, and cooked until well browned. Now it was time for that special ingredient! BEER! I poured in the whole bottle, thinking, "Wow, I hope this tastes good!" because up to that point it smelled amazing. I simmered my spicy mix for a few minutes, to cook off the alcohol and make a reduction (by half). Then I added a large can of crushed tomatoes and a well rinsed can of red kidney beans. Simmer for ten, garnish with a bit of freshly grated Parmesan and a side of cornbread (with bits of actual corn in!) Time for the taste test!

First bite and I'm thinking, "How have I gone my entire life without this amazing beer-ific chili?" Second bite and I'm thinking, "OMG! Maybe one chipotle pepper would have been enough!" All in all, this recipe is awesome and amazingly delicious, easy to make (30 minutes or less!) and was a fun flavor adventure. I highly recommend this one to everyone!

(Thank you Food Network recipe calendar!)

No comments:

Post a Comment