This is about my cooking adventures as I try new recipes and do food related things.
Everyone eats, so let's have fun cooking!

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Turkey Apple Meatloaf

I can't believe I didn't blog at all in June! It's been so hot that I haven't been cooking much, we've been grilling and sandwiching.

So yesterday I put my central air to the test by baking a meatloaf. When we were at the store I was amazed by this new touch screen recipe printing kiosk - I LOVE it! (Family Fare in Midland if you want to play with it) And came across this interesting recipe for Turkey Apple Meatloaf.

When I told Shane I was making it he said, "I don't know about that, don't put in very much apple, if you have to use it." I sent him to play Fall Out New Vegas while I played with the food.

The recipe called for stuffing which I left out and did not call for banana pepper, which I added. The recipe was intended to feed a family but since I'm cooking for a couple I made it smaller. I used 1/2 pound ground turkey, 1 egg, 1/2 an apple diced (the other half became an appetizer), 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/4 of an onion chopped, 1 banana pepper finely chopped, 1 1/2 T cherry mustard, and sea salt and coarse black pepper.

As I was chopping this variety of produce I said to Shane, maybe I'm not clumsy after all, maybe I've just always had terrible dull knives - which are the leading cause of kitchen cuts. Now that I have a set of quality knives, I never cut my fingers. I'm so happy that my finger tips no longer garnish our meals :D

I stirred and then rolled it into a giant ball, since I never seem to make meatloaf in a loaf pan, and put it into a round casserole to bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F.

When it was done we topped it with Raspberry Habanero sauce (so sweet and so spicy) from the Pampered Pantry. We ate it with my homemade "baked" beans (which I did not bake, I'll have to blog them as well).

Short but sweet, I've been on a long break after all, can't go right into novel blogging. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment