This is about my cooking adventures as I try new recipes and do food related things.
Everyone eats, so let's have fun cooking!

Monday, July 28, 2014

Surf N Turf

When I was at the grocery store last I made an impulse purchase of crab ravioli. When I got them home I realized I didn't know what I was going to do with them. Crap. So I consulted google for the best sauce to use with crab filled ravioli. The consensus seemed to be a light creamy wine sauce. Awesome, that sounds delicious and I know how to make it! You do too, because I shared how to make it back in 2011. However, I will share that I have since learned that it is called a Béchamel sauce, one of the mother sauces of French cooking. What I had been calling a creamy Alfredo was actually a variation of Béchamel sauce called a Mornay sauce, which is Béchamel with cheese. Yay French cooking terms lesson!

Okay so far on the menu I had crab ravioli with a light creamy wine sauce. What to serve with it? Obviously the answer is steak. Top sirloin! I love a nice lean steak, seared and cooked medium. But we can't eat only meat and pasta, though my husband probably wouldn't mind, so I needed to add some veggies to this meal. So a simple salad and pan fried broccoli.

This was super simple to prepare and so delicious when it was done. Boil the ravioli and drain while searing the steak. A little salt and pepper is all I use on steak, these were small sized since we also had ravioli so just about 3 minutes per side and they were done. Always remember to remove steak from the heat source and allow them to rest before cutting. This ensures they stay juicy - no one likes dried up steak. So out of the pan come the steaks and into the pan goes the broccoli with a little butter. Stir so it doesn't burn and cook until crisp tender.

Everything is ready except the sauce! Prepared a roux and when it was ready I added 1/2 cup white wine, 1/4 cup chicken broth and 1/4 cup milk and a couple chopped green onions. Once that was all mixed up I added 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Add ravioli and gently stir to coat so they don't break open.

The salad was super simple, chopped romaine with cherry tomatoes and thinly sliced carrots with a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan. He had ranch and I had French dressing.

So there you have it, a well rounded surf and turf meal. Crab ravioli, steak, broccoli and a simple salad. Everything garnished with fresh snipped chives from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment